- 12 (2.4kg) chicken thigh cutlets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3/4 cup (200g) greek-style yoghurt
- 5 centimetre (25g) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 45 gram butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 2/3 cup (410g) canned tomato puree
- 2/3 cup (160ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (80g) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Combine chicken, juice and chilli powder in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate, 30 minutes.
- 2Stir yoghurt, ginger and half the garam masala into the chicken mixture.
- 3Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan. Brown chicken all over in batches. Transfer to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 4Add onion and garlic to original pan. Cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add remaining garam masala and ground spices, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in tomato paste, puree, stock, honey and cinnamon. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 4 hours.
- 5Stir in cream, season to taste. Spoon butter chicken into serving dish and top with ricotta and coriander leaves. Serve with steamed basmati rice and warm naan bread, if you like.
If you do not have a slow cooker, after browning the chicken, simmer in a heavy-based saucepan on the stove top for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 27 delicious ways to use pesto in your recipesToday 12:03am
- RatatouilleYesterday 6:11am
- Easter lunch recipesYesterday 12:43am
- Vegetarian eggplant recipesYesterday 12:20am
- Scone recipesApr 07, 2020
- PikeletsApr 07, 2020
- Delicious cornflake cookies and slicesApr 07, 2020
- Easter baking ideasApr 07, 2020
- White sauceApr 07, 2020
- Beef bourguignon and potato pieApr 07, 2020
- Gluten-free sconesApr 07, 2020
- 20 classic baking recipesApr 07, 2020
- Irish soda bread rollsApr 07, 2020
- Sausage casseroleApr 07, 2020
- Melting momentsApr 06, 2020