- 12 (2.4kg) chicken thigh cutlets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3/4 cup (200g) greek-style yoghurt
- 5 centimetre (25g) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 45 gram butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 2/3 cup (410g) canned tomato puree
- 2/3 cup (160ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (80g) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Combine chicken, juice and chilli powder in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate, 30 minutes.
- 2Stir yoghurt, ginger and half the garam masala into the chicken mixture.
- 3Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan. Brown chicken all over in batches. Transfer to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 4Add onion and garlic to original pan. Cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add remaining garam masala and ground spices, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Remove from heat. Stir in tomato paste, puree, stock, honey and cinnamon. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 4 hours.
- 5Stir in cream, season to taste. Spoon butter chicken into serving dish and top with ricotta and coriander leaves. Serve with steamed basmati rice and warm naan bread, if you like.
If you do not have a slow cooker, after browning the chicken, simmer in a heavy-based saucepan on the stove top for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019