A good curry just isn't complete with a hearty serve of that classic Indian bread, naan. Kalonji, which may also be called nigella, refers to small black seeds grown on Kalonji bushes, which are grown widely through India.
- 2/3 cup (160ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 4 tablespoon ghee, melted
- 2 teaspoon kalonji
- 1Whisk the water, yeast and sugar in small bowl until yeast dissolves, cover; stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour and salt into large bowl, add yeast mixture, yogurt and half of the ghee; mix to a soft dough. Knead dough on floured surface about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl, cover; stand in warm place 1½ hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface; knead 5 minutes or until smooth. Divide dough into six pieces; roll each piece into an oval about 20cm long.
- 4Preheat grill to very hot. Cover oven tray with foil; grease foil. Cook ovals, one at a time, under grill about 2 minutes each side or until puffed and just browned. Brush naan with a little of the remaining ghee, sprinkle with a little of the kalonji; grill further 30 seconds. Keep naan warm while cooking remainder.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020