- 125 grams (4oz) butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle (see tips)
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats (see tips)
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease two large oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Stir butter and syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Stir in combined soda and the water, then remaining ingredients.
- 3Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm (2in) apart on lined trays, then flatten slightly.
- 4Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits on trays.
Spray your measuring spoon with a little cooking oil spray before scooping up the golden syrup; this will help prevent the syrup sticking to the spoon. Make sure you use rolled oats rather than quick-cooking oats as they will produce a different result. Store biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsToday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotToday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladToday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019