- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoon golden syrup or treacle
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Place butter, syrup (spray the measuring spoon with cooking-oil so all the syrup comes away) and the water in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in soda, then stir into dry ingredients.
- 3Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm (2-inches) apart on trays, flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden; cool on trays.
Anzac biscuits must feel soft to touch, even when they're done; they will become firmer on cooling. If you like the biscuits soft, decrease the oven temperature and/or the baking time; experiment with a few biscuits until you achieve the texture you like best.