- 125 grams (4oz) butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle (see tips)
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats (see tips)
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease two large oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Stir butter and syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Stir in combined soda and the water, then remaining ingredients.
- 3Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm (2in) apart on lined trays, then flatten slightly.
- 4Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits on trays.
Spray your measuring spoon with a little cooking oil spray before scooping up the golden syrup; this will help prevent the syrup sticking to the spoon. Make sure you use rolled oats rather than quick-cooking oats as they will produce a different result. Store biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- How to start a food blogYesterday 1:00pm
- Peaches and cream pieYesterday 1:00pm
- Our classic pavlova recipeYesterday 1:00pm
- Roti canai flatbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Vietnamese chicken pho recipeOct 19, 2021
- Baked bean and ricotta-stuffed mushroomOct 19, 2021
- Easy combination fried riceOct 19, 2021
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingOct 19, 2021
- 24 perfect pineapple recipesOct 19, 2021
- Honey mustard chicken stripOct 18, 2021
- Mediterranean roast vegetablesOct 18, 2021
- How to make basic sconesOct 18, 2021