- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 125 gram (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Spray the holes of a 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pan with cooking oil.
- 2Use a flour sifter to sift the flours, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a large bowl. Put the eggs, buttermilk and oil into a large jug; whisk them a little with a fork. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Add the banana and stir with a wooden spoon about ten times (not too many, as the batter should be lumpy).
- 3Spoon the mixture into the pan holes. Put the pan in the oven and bake about 20 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins from the pan and put them on a wire rack, top-side up, to cool down.
- 4To make cream cheese topping, put the cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- 5When the muffins are cold, use a metal spatula to spread them with topping; sprinkle with cinnamon.
You need 2 large overripe bananas for this recipe. Mash the bananas in a small bowl with the back of a fork. Never throw away bruised or blackened bananas; just put them in a plastic freezer bag and put them into the freezer. Overripe frozen bananas can be thawed and mashed to use when you're making muffins, banana bread, pancakes or smoothies.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb goulashYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 chocolate recipes for those of us who can't get enoughYesterday 5:44am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeYesterday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesJul 24, 2021
- 34 delicious duck recipesJul 24, 2021
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsJul 24, 2021
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingJul 24, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021