- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 125 gram (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Spray the holes of a 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pan with cooking oil.
- 2Use a flour sifter to sift the flours, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a large bowl. Put the eggs, buttermilk and oil into a large jug; whisk them a little with a fork. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Add the banana and stir with a wooden spoon about ten times (not too many, as the batter should be lumpy).
- 3Spoon the mixture into the pan holes. Put the pan in the oven and bake about 20 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins from the pan and put them on a wire rack, top-side up, to cool down.
- 4To make cream cheese topping, put the cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- 5When the muffins are cold, use a metal spatula to spread them with topping; sprinkle with cinnamon.
You need 2 large overripe bananas for this recipe. Mash the bananas in a small bowl with the back of a fork. Never throw away bruised or blackened bananas; just put them in a plastic freezer bag and put them into the freezer. Overripe frozen bananas can be thawed and mashed to use when you're making muffins, banana bread, pancakes or smoothies.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Santa Claus Christmas ice-cream cakeToday 4:33am
- Nutty choc-chip boiled fruit cakesToday 12:51am
- Rum and raisin shortbreadToday 12:48am
- Rice-cooker bibimbapToday 12:29am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- 25 rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesYesterday 1:00pm
- Aussie meat piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Melt-in-the-mouth eggnog shortbreadsYesterday 1:00pm
- Everything you need to know about the Air FryerYesterday 1:00pm
- Teriyaki poke bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 Christmas recipes that will surprise your guestsYesterday 1:00pm
- Rudolph the reindeer cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- 14 sensational Christmas shortbread variationsYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerYesterday 1:00pm