- 125 gram (4oz) butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (400g) mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup (25g) coarsely chopped roasted walnuts
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a 13cm x 26cm (5¼in x 10½in), 2-litre (8-cup) loaf pan; line with baking paper.
- 2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until paler and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined, then mashed banana and maple syrup.
- 3Sift over flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add walnuts; stir with a large spoon until combined. Spoon into pan; smooth the surface.
- 4Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
To make Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex's famous chocolate ginger banana bread, stir through 2 tablespoons of finely chopped crystallised ginger (or 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground ginger) and 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips into the batter before baking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020
- Vegetarian pasta recipesMay 28, 2020
- Brown rice congee with fried garlicMay 27, 2020