- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 1 litre milk
- 60 gram butter
- 2 egg-yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup icing-sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoon passionfruit pulp
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
- 2Grease and line 2 baking trays. Place pastry sheets on oven trays. Bake for l0-12 minutes, until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry to cover base of prepared pan.
- 3In a jug, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Add a little of the milk to form a smooth paste. Place paste in a large pan with remaining milk and stir until smooth.
- 4Add butter and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg-yolks and vanilla. Pour over prepared pastry sheet. Top with remaining trimmed pastry sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
- 5Meanwhile to make passionfruit icing; combine icing sugar, butter and passionfruit pulp in a small heat-proof bowl. Stir in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place over saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes until mixture is of spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 20 minutes until set. Cut into squares.
Continue stirring custard mixture while heating until boiling to prevent any lumps forming.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019