If you love this classic treat but prefer it without the passionfruit seeds, try our vanilla slice recipe.
Our delicious slices make the perfect addition to any afternoon tea. If it's chocolate you crave or something a little bit fruitier, check out our complete collection of sweet slices you can't go wrong with these little slices of heaven.
Looking for more of our favourite bakery treats?
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 1 litre milk
- 60 gram butter
- 2 egg-yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup icing-sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoon passionfruit pulp
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
- 2Grease and line 2 baking trays. Place pastry sheets on oven trays. Bake for l0-12 minutes, until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry to cover base of prepared pan.
- 3In a jug, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Add a little of the milk to form a smooth paste. Place paste in a large pan with remaining milk and stir until smooth.
- 4Add butter and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg-yolks and vanilla. Pour over prepared pastry sheet. Top with remaining trimmed pastry sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
- 5Meanwhile to make passionfruit icing; combine icing sugar, butter and passionfruit pulp in a small heat-proof bowl. Stir in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place over saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes until mixture is of spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 20 minutes until set. Cut into squares.
Continue stirring custard mixture while heating until boiling to prevent any lumps forming.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021