- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bacon rashers, chopped coarsely
- 1 large brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 large carrot, chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup (100g) small pasta shells
- 400 gram can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed, leaves chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese
- italian bread, to serve
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat; cook the bacon, stirring, for 2 minutes or until browned lightly. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the paste and tomatoes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 2Add stock to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 3Add pasta and chickpeas to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in spinach, simmer a further minute or until spinach is just wilted. Serve soup sprinkled with cheese and with toasted Italian bread.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Japanese chicken schnitzel toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Mulled wine pork with red cabbageYesterday 2:00pm
- Enchilada bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- 24 sour cream cakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Reuben jaffleYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 20 best tea cakes for your favourite cuppaYesterday 2:00pm
- 10 easy toastie recipes the whole family will enjoyYesterday 3:00am
- Easy combination fried riceJun 21, 2021
- Chocolate chip cookiesJun 21, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021