This hearty Italian soup is the ultimate in comfort food. Packed full of beans, celery, carrots, stock, pasta and tomatoes it's guaranteed to satisfy.
Looking for more vegetable soup recipes?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb (300g), chopped coarsely
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 trimmed sticks celery (200g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) water
- 400 grams canned no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 100 grams dried spelt pasta
- 400 grams canned four bean mix, rinsed, drained
- 175 grams cavolo nero, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook fennel, onion, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 2Add garlic and thyme to pan; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the water, tomatoes and pasta; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs.
- 3Add beans and cavolo nero; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until cavolo nero is just wilted. Season with pepper. Top with cheese and thyme leaves to serve.
You can use any small shaped pasta in this soup. This soup will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days, or can be frozen for up to 2 months. It will thicken on standing, so add enough water to thin to the desired consistency on reheating.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Perfect potato saladToday 1:26am
- Four ways with stuffingToday 12:00am
- 25 terrific tray bakesYesterday 10:52pm
- Baked beef sausages with rosemary and tomatoYesterday 10:00pm
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 9:00pm
- Traditional GozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut and pineapple sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- The ultimate lamb shanks recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Vegetarian sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mince and rice stuffed capsicumsYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieYesterday 6:13am
- 31 terrific tofu recipesYesterday 1:28am