Looking for more vegetable soup recipes?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb (300g), chopped coarsely
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 trimmed sticks celery (200g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) water
- 400 grams canned no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 100 grams dried spelt pasta
- 400 grams canned four bean mix, rinsed, drained
- 175 grams cavolo nero, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook fennel, onion, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 2Add garlic and thyme to pan; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the water, tomatoes and pasta; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs.
- 3Add beans and cavolo nero; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until cavolo nero is just wilted. Season with pepper. Top with cheese and thyme leaves to serve.
You can use any small shaped pasta in this soup. This soup will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days, or can be frozen for up to 2 months. It will thicken on standing, so add enough water to thin to the desired consistency on reheating.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021