Minestrone with ham
- 1 (1kg) ham hock
- 1 (150g) brown onion, quartered
- 1 (150g) stalk celery, trimmed, coarsely chopped, plus 2 stalks extra, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 litre (16 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (180g) carrot, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 (440g) tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 (200g) leek, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (100g) small pasta shells
- 420 gram canned white beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup (40g) flaked parmesan
Minestrone with ham
- 1Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- 2Roast ham hock and onion in a medium baking dish for 30 minutes.
- 3Place hock and onion in a large saucepan with coarsely chopped celery, peppercorns, bay leaf and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours.
- 4Remove hock from broth. Strain broth through a muslin-lined sieve or colander into a large heatproof bowl; discard solids. Allow broth to cool. Cover; refrigerate until cold
- 5Remove ham from hock; shred coarsely. Discard bone, fat and skin.
- 6Meanwhile, heat oil in cleaned saucepan over medium heat. Stir carrot and extra celery over heat for 2 minutes. Add ham, garlic, paste and tomato; continue stirring 2 minutes
- 7Discard fat from surface of broth. Pour broth into a large measuring jug; add enough water to make 2 litres (8 cups). Add broth to pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- 8Add leek, pasta and beans to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until pasta is tender. Remove from heat and stir in herbs. Season to taste.
- 9Serve soup topped with parmesan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021