- 2 x 470g packets butter cake mix
- 1 1/2 quantities butter cream
- pink food colouring
- 100 gram white chocolate melts white cardboard
- pink felt-tipped pen
- 1 packet candy sticks
- 1 black licorice strap
- 40 gram jar bo peep lollies
- 1 ice-block stick
- non-toxic white paint
- small artist's paintbrush
- 1 white marshmallow
- 2 small foil cases or foil milk-bottle tops
- 4 pink mentos
Butter cream (1 quantity)
- 125 gram (40z) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease cake pans, line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets. Pour one-quarter of the mixture into bar pan, pour remaining into square pan. Bake bar cake about 30 minutes and square cake about 1 hour. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Level tops of cakes, turn cakes, cut-side down. Cut 1cm deep recess into square cake, leaving 1cm border. Cut 2.5cm wide, 1cm deep recesses on either end of the bar cake, as pictured. Stand square cake upright on cake board. Stand bar cake in front of it to represent front window and counter of shop, secure bar cake to cake board with a little butter cream.
- 4To make the butter cream. Beat the butter (and any flavouring if using) in a small bowl with an electric beater until the butter is as white as possible. (This will result in a whiter buttercream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half of the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then the remaining sifted icing sugar. Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 5Tint butter cream pink. Lie square cake flat spread butter cream all over recess and border. Melt chocolate, spoon into piping bag, pipe `Sweets Shop' in middle of recess. When chocolate is set, stand cake up again and position behind the counter, secure to cake board with a little butter cream. Spread remaining butter cream all over cake.
- 6To make awning, draw stripes on the white cardboard with pink pen, cut a scalloped edge, then trim, fold and secure cardboard to front top edge of square cake, as pictured.
- 7Decorate window edge and counter front with candy sticks, trim them to fit, as necessary. Use thin strips of licorice to trim awning and outline money drawer at front. Fill recesses in counter with Bo Peeps position 2 purple Bo Peeps for money drawer handle.
- 8To make scales, trim ends from the ice-block stick, paint it white (leave it unpainted, if you prefer), leave to dry. When dry, balance stick across white marshmallow, secure with a little butter cream. Trim two small foil cases or milk bottle tops and stick them at either end of the stick with a little glue or sticky tape. Fill with Mentos.
Equipment 8cm x 25cm bar cake pan deep 20cm square cake pan 30cm square cake board small paper piping bag