Seafood stew with fennel
- 2 baby fennel bulbs (260g)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 orange
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 800 gram can diced tomatoes
- 1 litre (4 cups) fish stock
- 1 teaspoon white (granulated) sugar
- 800 gram uncooked medium king prawns
- 800 gram small black mussels
- 750 gram skinless white fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 675 gram loaf sourdough bread, sliced thickly
- 3 clove garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Seafood stew with fennel and garlic croûtons
- 1Trim fennel; reserve feathery fronds. Slice fennel as thinly as possible; combine with lemon juice in small bowl.
- 2Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 3Peel three thin strips of rind from orange. Stir rind, wine, chilli and saffron into onion mixture; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add undrained tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- 4Add stock; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about a quarter. Stir in sugar.
- 5Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact. Scrub mussels, remove beards.
- 6Add prawns, mussels and fish to tomato mixture. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until prawns change in colour and mussels open.
- 7Meanwhile, make garlic croûtons. Toast bread both sides on heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue). Rub one side of toast with cut garlic clove; drizzle with oil.
- 8Serve stew topped with garlic croûtons, fennel mixture and reserved fennel fronds. garlic croûtons
You can buy the seafood already prepared from most fish markets; it will cost more, but will save you time.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021