Looking for a classic cottage pie?
Rösti cottage pie
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 carrots, chopped finely
- 2 trimmed celery sticks, chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram minced beef
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
- 800 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kilogram sebago potatoes
- 100 gram butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Rösti cottage pie
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- 2Increase heat to high, add beef; cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and wine; simmer until wine evaporates. Add tomatoes and bay leaf, season; simmer for 45 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- 3Transfer beef mixture to a 6cm (2½-inch) deep, 2 litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 5Peel, then coarsely grate potatoes into a large bowl. Place potato in a clean tea towel; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Return potato to bowl; stir in butter, season. Spread potato mixture over beef mixture.
- 6Bake pie for 50 minutes or until rösti top is golden. Serve pie topped with parsley.
You can add your favourite spices to the beef mixture during cooking. You could use desiree potatoes instead of sebago.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021