- 2 baby (size 5) chickens (also sold as spatchcock or poussin)
- 2 cup (140g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 40 gram butter, melted
- 1 medium (350g) leek, trimmed, rinsed
- 3 medium (360g) zucchini, quartered lengthways
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Roast chicken for two
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a small baking dish with baking paper. Rinse the chickens under cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- 2Combine the breadcrumbs, lemon rind, garlic and rosemary into a medium bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the melted butter and work it into the breadcrumbs. Fill the cavities of chickens with the breadcrumb mixture and tie the legs together.
- 3Cut the leek into 10cm lengths and slice into quarters lengthways. Line the base of the baking dish with the zucchini and leek. Sit the chickens on top of the vegetables, season with sea salt and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 50 minutes.
- 4Remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle with the lemon juice. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- 5Serve the chickens with the roasted vegetables and some of the pan juices.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm