Rich rocky road mousse cake
- 240 gram jar amarena cherries
- 2 tablespoon water
- 185 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 150 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 80 gram chocolate pearls
- 1 medium pomegranate (320g), seeds removed
- 600 millilitre thickened (heavy) cream
- 400 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate
- 280 gram turkish delight, chopped
- 2/3 cup (70g) walnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 180 gram dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened (heavy) cream
Rich rocky road mousse cake
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Coarsely chop or halve cherries; reserve for chocolate mousse. Stir the water into the syrup until combined; reserve.
- 3Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water; stir until just melted. Remove bowl from pan; whisk in sugar, extract and milk until just combined. Whisk in sifted flours and cocoa until just combined.
- 4Pour mixture into pan; bake 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely. Level top of cake if needed. Cut cake into three even layers.
- 5Make chocolate mousse: Beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water; stir until just melted. Remove bowl from pan; fold in cream, then 150g turkish delight, the walnuts and reserved chopped cherries.
- 6Place base of cake on a platter or cake stand; drizzle with 2 tablespoons reserved syrup mixture. Top with half the mousse. Repeat layering with remaining cake, syrup and mousse, finishing with cake layer. Cover; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight until set.
- 7Make chocolate glaze: Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- 8Before serving, drizzle chocolate glaze over cake. Top with remaining turkish delight, chocolate pearls and pomegranate seeds.
Cake can be made a day ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019