- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 rindless bacon slices (195g), chopped finely
- 3 eggs
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (120g) coarsely grated gruyère cheese
- 1Make pastry: Sift flour into a medium bowl; rub in butter. Add egg yolk, juice and enough of the water to make ingredients cling together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 3Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 25cm (10-inch) round, 3.5cm (1½-inch) deep, loose-based fluted tart tin. Lift pastry into tin; gently press pastry into the base and side. Trim edge. Place tin on oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- 4Reduce oven to 180°C.
- 5Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and bacon, stirring, for 8 minutes or until onion is soft. Drain on paper towel. Cool. Sprinkle bacon mixture on pastry case.
- 6Whisk eggs in a medium bowl; whisk in cream, milk and cheese. Pour mixture into pastry case.
- 7Bake quiche for 35 minutes or until filling is set (see tips). Leave in tin for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
A perfect quiche should be slightly soft to touch at the centre as it will continue to set a little more on standing. To test if it's cooked, insert a thin-bladed knife into the centre; if the knife comes out clean, the quiche is cooked. You can use grated cheddar instead of gruyère, if you prefer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm