- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 rindless bacon slices (195g), chopped finely
- 3 eggs
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (120g) coarsely grated gruyère cheese
- 1Make pastry: Sift flour into a medium bowl; rub in butter. Add egg yolk, juice and enough of the water to make ingredients cling together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 3Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 25cm (10-inch) round, 3.5cm (1½-inch) deep, loose-based fluted tart tin. Lift pastry into tin; gently press pastry into the base and side. Trim edge. Place tin on oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- 4Reduce oven to 180°C.
- 5Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and bacon, stirring, for 8 minutes or until onion is soft. Drain on paper towel. Cool. Sprinkle bacon mixture on pastry case.
- 6Whisk eggs in a medium bowl; whisk in cream, milk and cheese. Pour mixture into pastry case.
- 7Bake quiche for 35 minutes or until filling is set (see tips). Leave in tin for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
A perfect quiche should be slightly soft to touch at the centre as it will continue to set a little more on standing. To test if it's cooked, insert a thin-bladed knife into the centre; if the knife comes out clean, the quiche is cooked. You can use grated cheddar instead of gruyère, if you prefer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020
- Raspberry and almond trifleNov 20, 2020