- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 rindless bacon slices (195g), chopped finely
- 3 eggs
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (120g) coarsely grated gruyère cheese
- 1Make pastry: Sift flour into a medium bowl; rub in butter. Add egg yolk, juice and enough of the water to make ingredients cling together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 3Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 25cm (10-inch) round, 3.5cm (1½-inch) deep, loose-based fluted tart tin. Lift pastry into tin; gently press pastry into the base and side. Trim edge. Place tin on oven tray. Line pastry case with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- 4Reduce oven to 180°C.
- 5Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and bacon, stirring, for 8 minutes or until onion is soft. Drain on paper towel. Cool. Sprinkle bacon mixture on pastry case.
- 6Whisk eggs in a medium bowl; whisk in cream, milk and cheese. Pour mixture into pastry case.
- 7Bake quiche for 35 minutes or until filling is set (see tips). Leave in tin for 5 minutes before removing from tin.
A perfect quiche should be slightly soft to touch at the centre as it will continue to set a little more on standing. To test if it's cooked, insert a thin-bladed knife into the centre; if the knife comes out clean, the quiche is cooked. You can use grated cheddar instead of gruyère, if you prefer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020
- Vegetarian pasta recipesMay 28, 2020
- Brown rice congee with fried garlicMay 27, 2020