Sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 2 fresh long red chillies, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, quartered
- 2/3 cup (160ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (60g) lightly packed grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Prawn rice paper rolls
- 12 medium cooked prawns
- 100 gram bean thread vermicelli noodles
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 12 22cm round rice paper wrapper
- 1 1/3 cup (80g) finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 small (70g) carrot, cut into thin strips
- 12 sprigs fresh mint
- 12 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1/4 bunch fresh garlic chives, cut into 12 lengths
Prawn rice paper rolls
- 1To make sweet chilli dipping sauce, place all ingredients in a small saucepan, stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/2 a cup. Cool.
- 2Shell and devein the prawns, leaving the tail intact; slice prawns in half lengthways.
- 3Place noodles in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Using kitchen scissors, cut noodles into shorter lengths . Combine noodles with fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
- 4To assemble rolls, place 1 sheet of rice paper in a bowl of warm water until just softened . Lift sheet from water carefully; place on a board covered with a clean tea towel. Fold the rice paper down by 4cm to create a flat edge.
- 5Place two prawn halves, cut side up, on rice paper with tail slightly overlapping the folded edge. Place about 2 level tablespoons of noodle mixture vertically down centre of rice paper, top with about 1 tablespoon of lettuce and carrot. Place herbs over vegetables, with some leaves slightly overlapping the folded edge.
- 6Fold bottom of wrapper over the filling; roll rice paper firmly to enclose the filling. Repeat with remaining rice paper sheets and filling. Cover with a slightly dampened cloth while preparing the remaining rolls.
- 7Serve rice paper rolls with sweet chilli dipping sauce.
For vegetarian rolls, substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce and add thin slices of seasoned or marinated tofu to the rice paper rolls. You would need about 100g of tofu to make 12 rolls.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020