Crystallised mint leaves
- 1 egg-white, beaten lightly
- 10 small fresh mint sprigs
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cup (440g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, extra
- 300 millilitre thickened cream
- 750 gram strawberries
- 1 medium (320g) pomegranate
- 1Make crystallised mint leaves: Spread a little egg-white with a brush over the surface of each leaf. Dip in caster sugar. Place on baking paper; stand until dry.
- 2Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a 26cm x 38cm swiss roll pan; line the base with baking paper, extending paper 3cm over long sides.
- 3Beat egg-whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, a little at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved between additions and firm peaks have formed.
- 4Sift the cornflour over the mixture; add vinegar and vanilla, and very gently fold through the meringue. Spread mixture into the pan; bake for about 20 minutes or until just firm. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 5Place a clean tea towel on the bench; top with a sheet of baking paper, sprinkle with extra cornflour. Invert the pan so the pavlova turns out on top of the baking paper. Remove the lining paper; cool.
- 6In a small bowl, whip cream with electric mixer until firm peaks form. Slice one-third of the strawberries. Spread cream in a line along the long edge of the pavlova closest to you. Press the sliced strawberries into the cream.
- 7Carefully, using the tea towel and baking paper as a helping hand, roll the pavlova over the cream until it looks like a log. Carefully lift onto a serving plate with the join at the bottom.
- 8Slice the roulade and decorate with the remaining quartered strawberries, pomegranate seeds and crystallised mint leaves.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Brilliant brownie recipesYesterday 1:29am
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 12:58am
- Portuguese chickens with fig saladFeb 20, 2020
- Healthy banana breadFeb 20, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieFeb 20, 2020
- Caramel sliceFeb 19, 2020
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsFeb 19, 2020
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawFeb 19, 2020
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingFeb 19, 2020
- Fish and chipsFeb 19, 2020
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniFeb 19, 2020
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Feb 19, 2020
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansFeb 19, 2020