- 3 cup (500g) sultanas
- 1 1/4 cup (215g) dried currants
- 1 1/8 cup (190g) chopped raisins
- 3/4 cup (125g) chopped seeded prunes
- 3/4 cup (125g) chopped seeded dates
- 1 2/3 cup (300g) chopped glace fruit (such as cherries, pineapple, figs, apricots)
- 3/8 cup mixed peel
- 1/3 cup fig jam
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (250ml) Grand Marnier
- 1/2 tablespoon mixed spice
- 250 gram butter, melted, cooled
- 5 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) blanched almonds
- 7 glace cherries
- 1Mix ingredients in large bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Store mixture in cool, dark place for a month (or longer, if desired) before using; stir mixture every two or three days.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line the base and side of a deep 22cm round cake pan (or deep 19cm square cake pan) with 2 layers of brown paper and 2 layers of baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above the edge of the pan.
- 3Place fruit mixture in a large bowl. Stir in the butter, eggs and sifted flour, in two batches; mix well.
- 4Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Decorate top of cake with almonds and cherries. Bake about 4 hours, or until cooked when tested. Cover hot cake tightly with foil; cool in pan.
Cake can be made up to three months ahead; store in an airtight container in a cool place or refrigerate if the weather is humid. Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.The mixture can be made a month before required, and stored in a cool, dark place – your refrigerator is ideal. Ideally, the ingredients shown below as "chopped" should all be cut to a similar size, about that of a sultana. Grand Marnier liqueur is used in keeping with the citrus content of the mixture (you can use any citrus-flavoured liqueur), but it can be substituted with rum, sherry or brandy.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 6:37am
- Spring rollsToday 1:55am
- Mussels in tomato sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Almond caramel barsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 23 best toastie recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- TabboulehYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- 24 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- Beef WellingtonYesterday 12:27am
- 20 delicious desserts with canned pineapplesSep 22, 2021
- 37 fabulous frittatasSep 22, 2021