- 475 gram bottled fruit mince
- 1/2 cup (125g) glacé peaches finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (45g) roasted slivered almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (30g) ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 egg whites, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon custard powder
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 125 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- 1Combine fruit mince, glacé peaches, slivered and ground almonds, and brandy in a medium bowl.
- 2Make pastry. Process flour, custard powder, sugar and butter until combined. Add egg yolk and enough water to make ingredients cling together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease two 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) patty pans.
- 4Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm (¹/8-inch) thick. Cut 24 x 7.5cm (3-inch) rounds from pastry, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Press pastry rounds into pan holes, reserve pastry scraps. Spoon fruit mince mixture into pastry cases.
- 5Roll remaining third of pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm (¹/8-inch) thick. Cut out eight snowflakes or stars using cutters, place on eight pies.
- 6Knead all pastry scraps into a ball, freeze until firm. Coarsely grate frozen pastry, sprinkle on eight pies. Brush a little egg white on pastry tops, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the caster sugar. Cover remaining eight pies with greased foil.
- 7Bake all pies for 20 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly. Transfer the 16 pastry-topped pies to a wire rack.
- 8Beat remaining egg white in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining caster sugar, beating until sugar dissolves. Spoon meringue onto remaining eight pies, bake for 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool.
- 9Dust struesel-topped pies with sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020