This tasty party snack is good for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. For a more substantial meal they can also be served in a warmed pitta.
- 1 cup (280g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1 medium (130g) lebanese cucumber, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 small (160g) white onions, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- olive oil, for shallow-frying
- mint leaves, for serving
Mini falafel with cucumber yoghurt
- 1To make cucumber yoghurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl; season with salt.
- 2Blend or process chickpeas, onion, herbs and oil until coarsely chopped; transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in egg, spices, rind, salt, flour and soda until combined. Shape level tablespoons of falafel mixture into patties.
- 3Heat oil in a medium frying pan; shallow-fry falafel, in batches, for about 5 minutes or until browned on both sides and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Serve falafel with cucumber yoghurt, sprinkled with mint leaves.
Falafel can be cooked several hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat in oven at 180°C (160°C fan-forced) for about 10 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 14 banana bread recipesToday 6:48am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 9:21pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Delicious stir-friesYesterday 1:00pm
- Macaroni cheeseYesterday 1:00pm
- Chilli chicken stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast loin of porkYesterday 1:00pm
- 12 sensational san choy bow recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken schnitzelYesterday 1:00pm