- 2 teaspoon (7g) dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) warm milk
- 4 1/4 cup (635g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Combine yeast, sugar and milk in small bowl, whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover bowl, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour and salt into large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture and combined yogurt, egg, water and oil. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Knead each portion into a ball, place onto lightly floured oven tray, cover, stand in warm place about 30 minutes or until risen.
- 4Preheat oven to highest temperature. Roll each ball into a 25cm round. Heat an oven tray in a very hot oven, place 1 round at a time onto tray, bake in a very hot oven, on top shelf, for about 5 minutes or until bread is lightly browned and rounds begin to expand. Wrap cooked pita bread in a cloth to keep warm before serving.
Best made on day of serving Freeze for up to 2 monthsFor perfect pita bread ensure you knead the dough long enough to develop the gluten; it should feel soft and stretchy. Roll the pittas out thinly, so that the dough is thin enough for the heat to penetrate the centre, creating steam to make the pitta balloon before the dough becomes too cooked and rigid.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020