- 2 teaspoon (7g) dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) warm milk
- 4 1/4 cup (635g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Combine yeast, sugar and milk in small bowl, whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover bowl, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour and salt into large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture and combined yogurt, egg, water and oil. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Knead each portion into a ball, place onto lightly floured oven tray, cover, stand in warm place about 30 minutes or until risen.
- 4Preheat oven to highest temperature. Roll each ball into a 25cm round. Heat an oven tray in a very hot oven, place 1 round at a time onto tray, bake in a very hot oven, on top shelf, for about 5 minutes or until bread is lightly browned and rounds begin to expand. Wrap cooked pita bread in a cloth to keep warm before serving.
Best made on day of serving Freeze for up to 2 monthsFor perfect pita bread ensure you knead the dough long enough to develop the gluten; it should feel soft and stretchy. Roll the pittas out thinly, so that the dough is thin enough for the heat to penetrate the centre, creating steam to make the pitta balloon before the dough becomes too cooked and rigid.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 25 pasta recipesToday 2:08am
- Slow-cooker butter chickenYesterday 5:00pm
- Chocolate crackle sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Butter chicken puff pastry hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy recipes to bake with your little onesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemonade sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Caprese saladJul 01, 2022
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertJul 01, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022