An easy and delicious recipe for lamb shanks, perfect served with creamy mashed potatoes or a silky white bean purée. Don't have time to wait by the oven? Try our slow-cooker lamb shanks recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 French-trimmed lamb shanks (2.25kg)
- 1 large onion (200g), chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 400 grams (12½oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole; cook lamb shanks, in two batches, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Add onion and garlic to same dish; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in wine; bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 4Return lamb to dish with stock, tomatoes, sugar and rosemary. Cover; transfer to oven. Cook for 2 hours. Remove lid; bake for a further 1 hour or until lamb is tender. Season to taste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021