- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (1.5kg) trimmed lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 medium (300g) brown onions, chopped
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (see tips)
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Toss lamb in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper; shake away excess. Cook lamb over high heat until browned all over; transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- 2Add remaining oil to the same pan with onions, carrots and garlic; cook, stirring, over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until the onion is starting to soften. Add the tomato paste; cook, stirring, for a further minute.
- 3Add the wine to the pan; bring to the boil. Stir in stock, undrained tomatoes, sugar and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil; pour over the lamb in the slow cooker, making sure the lamb is covered by the liquid. Cover; cook for 6-8 hours on the low setting or until lamb is soft and falling off the bone.
- 4Remove the lamb from the slow cooker; cover to keep warm. Turn the cooker to the high setting; cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove any fat from the surface. Serve the lamb with the sauce, mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables, if desired.
Bouquet garni is a bundle of fresh herbs, usually a bay leaf, sprig of thyme and parsley stalks, tied together with kitchen string. The bundle is removed at the end of cooking and discarded.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lemon and meringue passionfruit messYesterday 4:46am
- Gluten-free strawberries and cream layer cakeYesterday 2:23am
- Easy apple pieOct 18, 2020
- Savoury minceOct 18, 2020
- Caramel tartsOct 18, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipesOct 18, 2020
- Shepherdless pieOct 18, 2020
- Sensational salmon pastasOct 18, 2020
- Blueberry and lemon delicious puddingOct 18, 2020
- Melting momentsOct 17, 2020
- Fresh apricot jamOct 17, 2020
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 17, 2020
- Sausage casseroleOct 17, 2020
- Blinis with smoked salmonOct 17, 2020
- Sensational spring and summer saladsOct 16, 2020