No slow cooker? Here's a perfect lamb shanks recipe you can make with your oven!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (1.5kg) trimmed lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 medium (300g) brown onions, chopped
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 cup (500ml) salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (see tips)
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Toss lamb in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper; shake away excess. Cook lamb over high heat until browned all over; transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- 2Add remaining oil to the same pan with onions, carrots and garlic; cook, stirring, over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until the onion is starting to soften. Add the tomato paste; cook, stirring, for a further minute.
- 3Add the wine to the pan; bring to the boil. Stir in stock, undrained tomatoes, sugar and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil; pour over the lamb in the slow cooker, making sure the lamb is covered by the liquid. Cover; cook for 6-8 hours on the low setting or until lamb is soft and falling off the bone.
- 4Remove the lamb from the slow cooker; cover to keep warm. Turn the cooker to the high setting; cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove any fat from the surface. Serve the lamb with the sauce, mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables, if desired.
Bouquet garni is a bundle of fresh herbs, usually a bay leaf, sprig of thyme and parsley stalks, tied together with kitchen string. The bundle is removed at the end of cooking and discarded.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chicken curry recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Peanut butter cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Honey joysYesterday 1:00pm
- French toastYesterday 1:00pm
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingYesterday 6:11am
- Windsor shortbreadYesterday 5:10am
- Coconut riceYesterday 4:54am
- Best burger recipesYesterday 4:33am
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsYesterday 3:55am
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakYesterday 3:38am
- Spiced apple filo coilYesterday 3:11am
- Lemon curd cakeYesterday 3:01am
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019