Lace wedding cakes
- 325 gram butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup (385g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup (85g) orange marmalade
- 2 kilogram mixed dried fruit, chopped finely
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 3/4 cup (180ml) sweet sherry
- 1/3 cup (55g) blanched whole almonds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sweet sherry, extra
- 3/4 cup (120g) icing sugar
- 1 kilogram ready-made white icing filigree textured plate
- 3/4 cup (240g) orange marmalade, warmed, strained silver lustre
Lace wedding cakes
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/130°C fan-force. Line four 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pans with silver foil and paper cases.
- 2Beat butter, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until just combined. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in marmalade and fruit. Sift flours and spice over mixture, add sherry; mix well.
- 3Place 2 level tablespoons of mixture into each case; smooth surface. Bake cakes about 50 minutes. Remove cakes from oven; brush tops with extra sherry. Cover pan tightly with foil; cool cakes in pan.
- 4On surface dusted with sifted icing sugar, knead white icing until smooth. Divide icing in half; roll each half out to a thickness of 5mm. Using a 7cm round fluted cutter cut out 24 rounds from each piece of icing.
- 5Using a filigree textured plate, gently press an imprint onto each icing round.
- 6Brush cakes with marmalade; top with icing rounds. Carefully brush silver lustre over pattern on icing.
We used a plastic filigree textured plate to mark the icing, available from craft or haberdashery shops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaAug 08, 2022
- Gluten free basic biscuitsAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasAug 08, 2022
- Veal braciole with rice and peasAug 08, 2022
- Beef mince and rice burritosAug 08, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022