- 400 millilitre cream
- 4 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100 gram quality dark chocolate
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 4 small bosc pears
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 140°C. Place cream, sugar, chocolate and vanilla in saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until hot (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- 2Whisk yolks and egg in heat-proof bowl until well combined. Remove vanilla pod from milk mixture. Pour milk mixture over egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- 3Chill custard mixture for 20 minutes, then skim all bubbles off the surface. Pour into 4 small ovenproof bowls.
- 4Place bowls in a deep roasting dish. Pour boiling water into the dish until it reaches halfway up the bowls. Carefully place the roasting dish in the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
- 5While custards are in the oven, peel pears (keeping stalk intact) and place in a large pot with remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat. Leave pears in poaching liquid for 10 minutes, then remove and halve lengthways.
- 7After removing from oven, top each custard with a pear and spoon over a little poaching liquid. Serve immediately.
Mike’s Top Tips: When making custard or crème brûlée, rest the mix before baking so the bubbles don’t rise during cooking When cooking with chocolate, always pick the darkest option with a high cocoa content. It’s healthier and gives a richer flavour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020