- 60 grams butter
- 1 small onion (80g), chopped finely
- 100 grams leftover ham, chopped finely
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1¼ cups (310ml) milk
- 150 gram manchego cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cups (150g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 400 grams canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add onion and ham; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in milk. Return to heat; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute; stir in cheese, paprika and parsley.
- 2Pour mixture into a shallow heatproof dish. Cover, refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold.
- 3Using two dessert spoons, shape tablespoon measures of mixture into quenelle shapes. Dip croquettes in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place croquettes on a tray lined with plastic wrap or baking paper. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4Meanwhile, make tomato sauce. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add garlic and chilli; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Season to taste.
- 5Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat to 180°C/350°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). Deep-fry croquettes, in batches, for 2 minutes or until browned lightly and heated through. Drain on paper towel.
- 6Serve croquettes with tomato sauce.
Deep-fried food is very hot in the centre; allow the croquettes to stand for a few minutes to cool slightly before serving.
do ahead Recipe can be made to the end of step 4 a day ahead. Deep-fry croquettes and reheat sauce just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeYesterday 6:02am
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Leek and mushroom lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Lasagne recipe collectionJun 26, 2022
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelJun 26, 2022