- 4 small mandarins (400g), unpeeled
- 2 cup (280g) macadamias
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (170g) polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1Cover whole mandarins in medium saucepan with cold water; bring to a boil. Drain then repeat process two more times. Cool mandarins to room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to moderately slow, 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 3Blend or process nuts until mixture forms a coarse meal. Halve mandarins; discard seeds. Blend or process mandarins until pulpy.
- 4Beat butter, extract and caster sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions; transfer to large bowl. Stir in polenta, baking powder, nut meal and mandarin pulp.
- 5Spread mixture into pan; bake about 1 hour. Stand cake 15 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool. Serve cake dusted with sifted icing sugar.
Macadamia nuts have a high fat content and should be kept, covered, in the refrigerator to prevent them becoming rancid. You can blend or process the same weight of other roasted nuts, such as pecans, almonds or walnuts, if you prefer, to use in place of the macadamias. Similarly, you can substitute the same weight of other citrus fruit - grapefruits, blood oranges, tangelos, etc - for the mandarins.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021