- 125 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup or treacle
- 3 cup (450g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (160g) pure icing sugar
- assorted food colouring
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease oven trays.
- 2Combine butter, sugar and golden syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) about 1 minute or until butter melts. Cool 5 minutes.
- 3Sift combined flour, spices and soda into a large bowl; stir in butter mixture, egg and extract.
- 4Divide dough in half; knead each portion of dough on floured surface. Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using gingerbread-people cutters, cut out shapes and place on oven trays.
- 5Bake gingerbread about 10 minutes; cool on trays.
- 6To make royal icing, beat egg white in a small bowl with an electric mixer until just frothy; gradually add sifted icing sugar, beating between additions, until stiff peaks form. Tint as desired with various food colourings.
- 7Decorate gingerbread people with icing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022