- 1 cup (160g) CSR Rapadura Sugar
- 100 grams butter, diced
- ⅔ cup (160g) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons CSR Golden Syrup
- 2 tablespoons whisky
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1½ tablespoons White Wings Plain Flour
- 1.2 kg ripe pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Buttermilk pastry topping
- 2 cups (300g) White Wings Self-Raising Flour
- 2 tablespoons CSR Rapadura Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 100 grams chilled butter, chopped
- ¾ cup (185ml) buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Combine sugar, butter, sour cream, syrup, whisky, ginger, vanilla and ½ teaspoon salt flakes in a large saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until smooth and combined. Bring to a simmer; cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice; transfer to a large bowl. Cool slightly. Whisk in flour until smooth and combined. Add pears, stirring to coat. Transfer to a 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish; place dish on an oven tray.
BUTTERMILK PASTRY TOPPING
- 2Combine flour, sugar, ginger and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips. Stir buttermilk through flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface; knead lightly until smooth.
- 3Roll topping on lightly floured baking paper to 5mm thick. Cut out rounds with a 6cm fluted cutter; place rounds over pear mixture, leaving some gaps.
- 4Brush pastry with a little extra buttermilk; sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes.
- 5Serve cobbler with vanilla ice-cream.
CSR Rapadura Sugar is an unrefined cane sugar, which means more of the natural nutrients remain. The molasses content in the sugar cane gives it its golden colour and delicate caramel flavour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021