- 1 vanilla bean in half lengthways
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup caster sugar in medium heatproof bowl
- 1Split 1 vanilla bean in half lengthways; scrape seeds into medium saucepan, add pod, 1½ cups milk and 1 tablespoon caster sugar. Boil, then strain into large jug. Discard pod.
- 2Whisk 4 egg yolks and ¼ cup caster sugar in medium heatproof bowl set over medium saucepan of simmering water until thick and creamy; gradually whisk in hot milk mixture.
- 3Return custard mixture to pan; stir, over low heat, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Refrigerate custard about 1 hour or until cold.
If the custard splits or curdles, try chilling it and then blending or beating with a stick blender or hand beaters.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Passionfruit curd teacakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Kimchi and cheese toastiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooked pork in ginger beerYesterday 2:00pm
- Pearl couscous ‘kedgeree’Yesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker bolognese sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mixed bean, spinach and paneer rogan joshYesterday 2:00pm
- Rigatoni with zucchini and chilliYesterday 2:00pm
- Vanilla sliceJun 17, 2021
- ShortbreadJun 17, 2021
- Baked custardJun 17, 2021
- Beef massamanJun 17, 2021
- Coconut pumpkin soup made in your slow cookerJun 17, 2021
- Steak and spuds with salsa verdeJun 17, 2021
- Rainbow bibimbap bowlsJun 16, 2021
- 22 easy dinner recipesJun 16, 2021