- 200 gram kale leaves, stems removed, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) good-quality vegetable stock
- 650 gram sebago potatoes, chopped
- 450 gram broccoli, cut into florets, stems sliced thinly
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup (240g) creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- shredded lemon rind, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Rub 50 grams of the kale with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- 3Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- 4Add stock and potato; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 5Add broccoli; simmer, covered, for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Stir in remaining kale and parsley; cook for a further 1 minute or until just wilted. Remove soup from heat. Using a stick blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 7Make lemon creme fraiche: combine creme fraiche and grated rind in a small bowl; season.
- 8Ladle soup into bowls; top with creme fraiche mixture, kale chips and shredded rind.
Sebago is a white-fleshed potato. You can use any white all-purpose non-waxy potato for this recipe. You can use chicken stock in place of vegetable stock, if you like. If using a jug blender or food processor to blend soup, stand it for 10 minutes to cool slightly before blending. The heat build-up can cause the lid to blow off. The soup, without creme fraiche, can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What's in season in MarchYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli and Tom Yum prawn fried riceYesterday 5:12am
- Monte carlo biscuitsYesterday 3:00am
- Linguine with garlic prawns & chorizoYesterday 2:00am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 1:02am
- Chewy chocolate sliceFeb 26, 2020
- Chelsea bunsFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon pattiesFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon niçoise tray bakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla custard pieFeb 26, 2020
- Molten chocolate lava cakesFeb 26, 2020
- Mediterranean fish pieFeb 26, 2020
- Melt-and-mix strawberry yoghurt cakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla panna cotta with berry compoteFeb 26, 2020
- White wine mussels with pearl couscousFeb 26, 2020