- 1/2 cup (100g) bottled amarena cherries in syrup
- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, chopped
- 185 gram (6 ounces) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 24 fresh cherries (175g), to serve
- 1/2 cup (125m) pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) amarena cherry syrup (from the cherries in syrup in the brownie)
- 220 gram (7 ounces) dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped coarsely
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan; line base with paper, extending paper 5cm (2-inches) above long sides.
- 2Drain cherries, reserving syrup for the cherry chocolate ganache. Chop cherries coarsely.
- 3Place butter and chocolate in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until melted. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sugar and the water, then eggs, sifted flour and amarena cherries. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake 30 minutes or until set; cool brownie in pan.
- 5Meanwhile, make cherry chocolate ganache. Heat cream and syrup in a small saucepan until almost boiling, add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ganache is a spreadable consistency.
- 6Turn brownie, top-side up, onto a serving plate. Spread ganache over brownie; cut into 24 pieces. Top each piece with a fresh cherry to serve.
Do-ahead: Brownie can be made a day ahead up to the end of step 4; store, covered, in the fridge. Unlike maraschino and glacé cherries, which are bleached and dyed red, Italian amarena cherries are a small sour cherry preserved in sugar syrup to retain their natural garnet colour and cherry taste. They are available from speciality delis and good greengrocers.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 Australian classic pub mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Massaman beef cheeksYesterday 2:00pm
- Grown up chocolate cracklesYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 brilliant baked cheesecakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks with minted carrot pureeYesterday 2:00pm
- Berry muffinsYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy caramel cheesecakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork parmigiana bakeYesterday 3:22am
- Perfect potato saladYesterday 1:26am
- Four ways with stuffingYesterday 12:00am
- 25 terrific tray bakesJul 27, 2021
- Baked beef sausages with rosemary and tomatoJul 27, 2021
- Classic lamingtonsJul 27, 2021
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoJul 27, 2021
- Vegetarian sausage rollsJul 27, 2021