- 1/2 cup (100g) bottled amarena cherries in syrup
- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, chopped
- 185 gram (6 ounces) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 24 fresh cherries (175g), to serve
- 1/2 cup (125m) pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) amarena cherry syrup (from the cherries in syrup in the brownie)
- 220 gram (7 ounces) dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped coarsely
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan; line base with paper, extending paper 5cm (2-inches) above long sides.
- 2Drain cherries, reserving syrup for the cherry chocolate ganache. Chop cherries coarsely.
- 3Place butter and chocolate in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until melted. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sugar and the water, then eggs, sifted flour and amarena cherries. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake 30 minutes or until set; cool brownie in pan.
- 5Meanwhile, make cherry chocolate ganache. Heat cream and syrup in a small saucepan until almost boiling, add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until ganache is a spreadable consistency.
- 6Turn brownie, top-side up, onto a serving plate. Spread ganache over brownie; cut into 24 pieces. Top each piece with a fresh cherry to serve.
Do-ahead: Brownie can be made a day ahead up to the end of step 4; store, covered, in the fridge. Unlike maraschino and glacé cherries, which are bleached and dyed red, Italian amarena cherries are a small sour cherry preserved in sugar syrup to retain their natural garnet colour and cherry taste. They are available from speciality delis and good greengrocers.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Piri piri chickenDec 02, 2021
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesDec 02, 2021
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeDec 02, 2021
- Chocolate fig panforteDec 02, 2021
- Christmas candy cane sliceDec 02, 2021
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021