- 800 gram piece beef fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 gram butter
- 1 small brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 125 gram button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 150 gram chicken or duck liver pate
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1Tie beef securely with kitchen string. Heat oil in large frying pan; cook beef until browned all over. Wrap beef in foil; cool.
- 2Heat butter in same pan; cook onion and mushrooms, stirring, until tender. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 240°C. Line oven tray with baking paper. Stir pate in medium bowl until soft. Remove string from beef. Spread pate all over beef; season.
- 4Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface into a rectangle large enough to enclose beef; moisten edges with water.
- 5Place mushroom mixture down centre of pastry; place beef on top of mushrooms. Fold pastry over beef to enclose; trim excess pastry and press edges to seal. Place beef, seam-side down, on tray; brush with egg then cut small slits in top of pastry.
- 6Bake beef 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 200°C; bake a further 20 minutes or until browned lightly. Serve beef, sliced thickly. Serve with steamed vegetables.
It is important to trim excess pastry when covering the beef. Don't have the pastry too thick at the joins or the pastry will not cook through. To decorate, cut small leaves from pastry scraps and secure them to the beef wellington with a little of the egg before baking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- How to start a food blogYesterday 1:00pm
- Peaches and cream pieYesterday 1:00pm
- Our classic pavlova recipeYesterday 1:00pm
- Roti canai flatbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Vietnamese chicken pho recipeOct 19, 2021
- Baked bean and ricotta-stuffed mushroomOct 19, 2021
- Easy combination fried riceOct 19, 2021
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingOct 19, 2021
- 24 perfect pineapple recipesOct 19, 2021
- Honey mustard chicken stripOct 18, 2021
- Mediterranean roast vegetablesOct 18, 2021
- How to make basic sconesOct 18, 2021