- 800 gram piece beef fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 gram butter
- 1 small brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 125 gram button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 150 gram chicken or duck liver pate
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1Tie beef securely with kitchen string. Heat oil in large frying pan; cook beef until browned all over. Wrap beef in foil; cool.
- 2Heat butter in same pan; cook onion and mushrooms, stirring, until tender. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 240°C. Line oven tray with baking paper. Stir pate in medium bowl until soft. Remove string from beef. Spread pate all over beef; season.
- 4Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface into a rectangle large enough to enclose beef; moisten edges with water.
- 5Place mushroom mixture down centre of pastry; place beef on top of mushrooms. Fold pastry over beef to enclose; trim excess pastry and press edges to seal. Place beef, seam-side down, on tray; brush with egg then cut small slits in top of pastry.
- 6Bake beef 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 200°C; bake a further 20 minutes or until browned lightly. Serve beef, sliced thickly. Serve with steamed vegetables.
It is important to trim excess pastry when covering the beef. Don't have the pastry too thick at the joins or the pastry will not cook through. To decorate, cut small leaves from pastry scraps and secure them to the beef wellington with a little of the egg before baking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Chilli con carneYesterday 1:15am
- What's in season in January?Jan 20, 2020
- Chilli con capsicumJan 19, 2020
- Gai lan and mushroom five-spice stir-fryJan 19, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020