Use this Dolly Varden cake recipe as inspiration for your own designs. All it takes is some coloured buttercream and sweets from your local grocery store. This "Punky" Varden cake was made using licorice straps, sour straps, royal icing and gunmetal silver cachous! Rock and roll!
Looking for more Australian Women's Weekly Chidren's Birthday Cake Book recipes?
- 470 gram packet butter cake mix
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 200 gram pink and white marshmallows
- 1 Barbie doll, or similar, legs removed
- 1 metre-long pink ribbon (for top)
- 1 artificial flower (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease dolly varden pan well.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet; pour mixture into pan. Bake about 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool completely.
- 3Make butter cream: Place butter in a small bowl of electric mixer; beat until butter is as white as possible, gradually add about half the icing sugar, beating constantly. Add milk gradually, then gradually beat in the remaining icing sugar; mixture should be smooth and easy to spread with spatula.
- 4Spread butter cream all over cake. Gently push doll down into cake to waist level.
- 5Halve marshmallows; press marshmallows, cut-side down, alternating pink and white, all over 'skirt', starting from the bottom. Wind ribbon around doll's body to represent bodice, tie at the back in a large bow. Position flower at waist.
Special Dolly Varden cake tins are available from most cake decorating suppliers and some kitchenware stores. You could use one 175 gram packet butter cake mix, if you don't want to make it from scratch.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Coconut riceNov 29, 2021