- 2 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 level tablespoon sugar, to taste
- 45 gram (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 cup milk, approximately
- 1Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
- 2Sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Rub in butter lightly. Add enough milk to mix to a medium–soft dough.
- 3Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly until smooth, pat out to fit a greased and floured 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin (or just knead into an oblong shape and place in the centre of an oven tray). Glaze with a little milk.
- 4Bake in hot oven about 20 minutes. Check damper after 10 minutes.
- 5Turn out, then reverse onto a wire rack, and cover with a tea towel.
Check damper after 10 minutes, as many stoves aren't evenly anchored to the floor. One side might cook more quickly; you may need to turn the tin around half-way through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020