- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 150 gram (4½ ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
Apple cherry pies
- 3 medium apples (450g), peeled, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 tablespoon water
- 300 gram (9½ ounces) frozen seeded cherries, quartered
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar, extra
Apple cherry pies
- 1To make pastry, process flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk; process until combined. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Wrap pastry in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Combine apple, sugar, star anise and half the water in medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Add cherries; simmer 2 minutes. Stir in blended cornflour and the remaining water; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Discard star anise.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease 18 holes of two 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) deep flat-based patty pans.
- 4Roll two-thirds of the pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm (¹/8 inch) thick; cut out 18 x 6.5cm (2¾-inch) rounds from pastry. Press rounds into pan holes. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 5Roll remaining pastry between sheets of baking paper to make a 20cm (8-inch) square; cut into 5mm (¼-inch) wide strips. Spoon fruit mixture into cases, brush edges of pastry with egg white. Lattice pastry strips over fruit filling; trim any excess pastry. Brush lattice with egg white; sprinkle with extra sugar. Bake about 20 minutes.
- 6Stand pies in pan 10 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022