- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 125 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan; line base and two long sides with baking paper.
- 2Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in large bowl.
- 3Combine butter, golden syrup and the water in medium saucepan; stir mixture with a wooden spoon until butter is melted.
- 4Remove pan from heat. Add soda to the butter mixture (it will froth and bubble).
- 5Pour butter mixture into oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are mixed together. Spoon mixture evenly into pan, then press down on the slice with your hands until it is flat.
- 6Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes (it should feel firm when you touch it).
- 7Stand slice in pan about 15 minutes. Turn slice out of pan, remove baking paper, then cut slice into pieces while still warm.
To make a slightly different variation of this slice, try adding ¾ cup dark chocolate chips, ¾ cup sultanas, or ¾ cup finely chopped dried apricots in with the oats (step 2). This recipe is a great lunchbox treat. It will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days, so you can make it on the weekend to take to school.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021