Looking for more beef casseroles?
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 stalks fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 kilogram chuck steak, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, halved, sliced thickly
- 2 (300g) celery stalks, trimmed, sliced thickly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Make a bouquet garni by tying together bay leaves, thyme and parsley with kitchen string, set aside. Toss beef in seasoned flour until well coated, shake away excess flour.
- 2Heat 2tsp of oil over medium-high heat in a large casserole dish. Cook half the beef, turning, until browned on all sides. Remove from dish. Repeat with another 2tsp of oil and remaining beef.
- 3Add remaining oil to the same dish and cook the onion, carrot and celery over medium heat, 2 minutes, or until browned lightly. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute, or until garlic is aromatic.
- 4Add wine to the dish and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the wine is reduced by about half.
- 5Return all the beef and any juices to the dish with the stock, tomatoes and bouquet garni, stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Cover and place in oven for 2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove bouquet garni. Serve casserole sprinkled with parsley and accompanied by mashed or boiled potatoes, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020