- 6 baby eggplants (360g)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 6 french-trimmed lamb shanks (1.5kg)
- 1 brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, grated
- 5 centimetre piece fresh ginger (25g)
- 3 fresh long red chillies, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 400 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (50g) roasted salted cashews
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconuts
- 3/4 cup (200g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Cut eggplants into 3cm thick slices. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook eggplant, in batches, until browned. Transfer to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Heat another tablespoon of the oil in same frying pan over medium heat; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same frying pan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, chilli and spices; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and stock; bring to the boil. Transfer to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 4Dry-fry seeds, nuts and coconut until fragrant but not coloured; cool. Blend or process until finely ground. Stir nut mixture into curry. Season to taste.
- 5Serve curry topped with yoghurt and coriander.
Sprinkle the curry with fried chillies before serving, if you like. To make fried chillies, thinly slice 2 fresh long red chillies. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small frying pan, and cook the chillies, stirring, until softened. This recipe is suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022