While we associate tender lamb shanks with comforting recipes to make in our slow cooker, we have to take a moment to champion this gorgeous pickled pork. Flavourful and tender, this easy pork roast is delicious served hot with mashed potatoes, wilted cabbage and mustard or served cold, shredded with a potato salad or coleslaw.
- 3 kilogram hand of pickled pork
- 2 tablespoon brown malt vinegar
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water, approximately
- 1Place pork, vinegar, bay leaves, peppercorns, and sugar in 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; add enough of the water to barely cover pork. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours.
- 2Carefully remove pork from cooking liquid; cover, stand 10 minutes before slicing. Discard cooking liquid.
The "hand" of pickled pork is a portion of leg and breast. You might need to order this from the butcher in advance.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Orange, semolina and rhubarb cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm