- 1 x 470g (15-ounce) packet butter cake mix
- 1 quantity butter cream
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 thick black licorice ropes
- 4 licorice allsorts
- 2 pink musk sticks
- 1 ice-cream wafer
- thin cord
- 1 black wine gum
- 2 green wine gums
- 1 red wine gum
- 2 chocolate-coated
- licorice bullets
Butter cream (1 quantity)
- 125 gram (40z) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet. Spread mixture into pan, bake about 30 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3To make the butter cream. Beat the butter (and any flavouring if using) in a small bowl with an electric beater until the butter is as white as possible. (This will result in a whiter buttercream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half of the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then the remaining sifted icing sugar.Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 4Using picture as a guide, cut sewing machine pieces from cake (use round cutter to cut out circle). Stand circle on side, cut a 1cm piece off side of circle so it stands upright. Secure cake pieces on cake board with a little butter cream.
- 5Combine ½ cup butter cream with sifted cocoa in small bowl, spread all over sewing machine base. Spread plain butter cream all over body and wheel of sewing machine.
- 6To make cottonreel, secure 4cm piece of thick licorice to two licorice allsorts, trim into rounded shape, position on top of sewing machine, as pictured. Trim piece of thick black licorice into pointed needle, press into cake. Position trimmed pink Musk Sticks, as pictured, split remaining licorice rope in half lengthways, position two pieces on cake as pictured. Wind coloured cord around cotton-reel at top of machine, thread through and around licorice pieces, then thread through licorice needle (use toothpick to make hole in licorice).
- 7Cut wafer into 5cm round circle; position as plate under the needle. Decorate sewing machine with remaining lollies.
Equipment: Deep 22cm (9-inch) square cake pan 7cm (2¾-inch) round cutter 30cm (12-inch) square cake board
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Baked rice custardToday 5:26am
- Slow-cooked beef ragu with pappardelleToday 2:21am
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Slow cooker bean bourgignonYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker veal rolls (involtini) with prosciutto and sageYesterday 2:00pm
- Spinach gozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- 45 comforting custard dessertsYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Ragù alla bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomato, chilli and fettaYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am