- ½ cup (80g) almonds kernels (natural almonds), chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (50g) walnuts, quartered
- ¼ cup (40g) white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (50g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- ¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup (210g) crunchy peanut butter (see tips)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) rice malt syrup
- 2 cups (40g) puffed millet
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan. Line base and two opposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Place almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pepitas and sunflower seeds on a large oven tray in a single layer. Bake 10 minutes or until browned lightly and fragrant. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, stir peanut butter and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over low heat until combined.
- 4Add syrup mixture to nut mixture with puffed millet, chia seeds and flaxseeds; stir until well combined.
Press mixture firmly into pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 5Remove slice from pan; cut into 24 bars.
- 6Choc-chip Stir 50g (1½oz) chopped sugar-free dark chocolate into mixture before pressing into pan. Drizzle top with 50g (1½oz) melted sugar-free dark chocolate.
- 7Coconut Omit the pepitas and sunflower seeds
and add ¾ cup (60g) shredded unsweetened coconut. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup (20g) toasted shredded unsweetened coconut.
On cooling, the peanut butter mixture becomes firm and starts to set. You may need to use your hands when incorporating into the other ingredients. When adding chocolate in the choc-chip variation ensure peanut butter mixture is cool otherwise the chocolate will melt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021