- ½ cup (80g) almonds kernels (natural almonds), chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (50g) walnuts, quartered
- ¼ cup (40g) white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (50g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- ¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup (210g) crunchy peanut butter (see tips)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) rice malt syrup
- 2 cups (40g) puffed millet
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan. Line base and two opposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Place almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pepitas and sunflower seeds on a large oven tray in a single layer. Bake 10 minutes or until browned lightly and fragrant. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, stir peanut butter and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over low heat until combined.
- 4Add syrup mixture to nut mixture with puffed millet, chia seeds and flaxseeds; stir until well combined.
Press mixture firmly into pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 5Remove slice from pan; cut into 24 bars.
- 6Choc-chip Stir 50g (1½oz) chopped sugar-free dark chocolate into mixture before pressing into pan. Drizzle top with 50g (1½oz) melted sugar-free dark chocolate.
- 7Coconut Omit the pepitas and sunflower seeds
and add ¾ cup (60g) shredded unsweetened coconut. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup (20g) toasted shredded unsweetened coconut.
On cooling, the peanut butter mixture becomes firm and starts to set. You may need to use your hands when incorporating into the other ingredients. When adding chocolate in the choc-chip variation ensure peanut butter mixture is cool otherwise the chocolate will melt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022