- ½ cup (80g) almonds kernels (natural almonds), chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (50g) walnuts, quartered
- ¼ cup (40g) white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (50g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- ¼ cup (35g) sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup (210g) crunchy peanut butter (see tips)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) rice malt syrup
- 2 cups (40g) puffed millet
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds (linseeds)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan. Line base and two opposite sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Place almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pepitas and sunflower seeds on a large oven tray in a single layer. Bake 10 minutes or until browned lightly and fragrant. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, stir peanut butter and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over low heat until combined.
- 4Add syrup mixture to nut mixture with puffed millet, chia seeds and flaxseeds; stir until well combined.
Press mixture firmly into pan. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 5Remove slice from pan; cut into 24 bars.
- 6Choc-chip Stir 50g (1½oz) chopped sugar-free dark chocolate into mixture before pressing into pan. Drizzle top with 50g (1½oz) melted sugar-free dark chocolate.
- 7Coconut Omit the pepitas and sunflower seeds
and add ¾ cup (60g) shredded unsweetened coconut. Sprinkle the top with ¼ cup (20g) toasted shredded unsweetened coconut.
On cooling, the peanut butter mixture becomes firm and starts to set. You may need to use your hands when incorporating into the other ingredients. When adding chocolate in the choc-chip variation ensure peanut butter mixture is cool otherwise the chocolate will melt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021