- 1.5 litre fish or vegetable stock
- 3 small (450g) fresh calamari, cleaned
- 12 large (500g) uncooked prawns
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (200g) onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cup (400g) arborio rice
- saffron threads
- 3/4 cup (180ml) dry white wine
- 3/4 cup (180ml) tomato puree or passata
- 8 (250g) black mussels
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan.
- 2Meanwhile, cut calamari hoods down the centre to open out. Score the inside in a diagonal pattern, then cut into pieces. Shell and devein prawns, leaving tails intact.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Cook prawns and calamari over high heat, in batches, until the prawns have just changed colour. Remove from pan.
- 4Heat remaining oil in the same large, heavy-based pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion has softened. Add rice and saffron, stirring to coat well with onion mixture. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in tomato puree. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 5Stir in 1/2 cup of the hot stock. Cook, stirring, over a medium heat until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring between each addition, until all but 1/2 cup of the stock has been absorbed (this step should take about 20 minutes). Stir in remaining stock and mussels. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until mussels have opened.
- 6Return prawns and calamari to pan with the rind and parsley. Stir in gently.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022