- 1 spanner crab (325g), placed in freezer
- 1 litre (4 cups) fish stock
- 400 grams can diced tomatoes
- 300 grams skinless ling fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 8 large uncooked king prawns, (560g), peeled, deveined, with tails intact
- 300 grams black mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 270 ml can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablesoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
Lemongrass spice paste
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, chopped coarsely
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, white part only, chopped coarsely
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roots trimmed, leaves reserved
- 1Poach crab in a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes; transfer to a plate and leave to cool. When cool enough to handle, pull out the hard shell; remove and discard outside gills of crab. Rinse crab; cut into quarters and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, make lemongrass spice paste.
- 3Heat a wide heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add lemongrass spice paste; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil; simmer for 20 minutes. Add fish and prawns; cook for 2 minutes. Add crab and mussels; cook, covered, for a further 2 minutes or until seafood is just cooked.
- 4Turn off heat; remove some seafood from pan, if necessary. Stir through coconut cream, fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar. Return seafood to pan.
- 5Scatter seafood broth with reserved coriander leaves from lemongrass spice paste; serve.
Lemongrass spice paste
- 6Blend oil, ¼ cup (60ml) water, shallot, ginger, garlic, lemon grass, chilli and coriander roots until a coarse paste forms; reserve the coriander leaves for serving.
Some mussels might not open after cooking – these may not have cooked as quickly as the others – and some will not open even after excessive cooking. Do not discard these; just pry open carefully with a knife and cook a little more.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021