- 1.5 kilogram piece scotch fillet, at room temperature, trussed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- roasted vegetables, yorkshire puddings, gravy, beans, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Weigh beef and calculate cooking time - allow 15-20 minutes per 500g for rare. Brush oil over.
- 2Heat a large frying pan or grill pan on medium. Sear beef 2-3 minutes on all sides, until evenly browned.
- 3Transfer to a rack in a baking dish. Season to taste and add flavourings of choice.
- 4Add water to dish to create steam and to prevent pan juices from burning. Roast 50-60 minutes, until cooked to taste. Rest covered in foil 10-20 minutes, for juices to settle. Slice across the grain to serve.
To test when a roast is done, use tongs to gently squeeze. Rare is very soft, medium-rare is soft, medium is soft but springy, medium-well is firm and well-done is very firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Broccoli riceJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021
- Our best banana breadJan 26, 2021
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustJan 26, 2021
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesJan 26, 2021