- 1.5 kilogram piece scotch fillet, at room temperature, trussed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- roasted vegetables, yorkshire puddings, gravy, beans, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Weigh beef and calculate cooking time - allow 15-20 minutes per 500g for rare. Brush oil over.
- 2Heat a large frying pan or grill pan on medium. Sear beef 2-3 minutes on all sides, until evenly browned.
- 3Transfer to a rack in a baking dish. Season to taste and add flavourings of choice.
- 4Add water to dish to create steam and to prevent pan juices from burning. Roast 50-60 minutes, until cooked to taste. Rest covered in foil 10-20 minutes, for juices to settle. Slice across the grain to serve.
To test when a roast is done, use tongs to gently squeeze. Rare is very soft, medium-rare is soft, medium is soft but springy, medium-well is firm and well-done is very firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021