- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 2/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cup (340g) firmly packed coarsely grated butternut pumpkin
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped pecans
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra
- 1 cup (160g) pecan halves
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing sugar
- 375 gram cream cheese, softened, chopped
- 200 gram butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 2 cup (320g) icing sugar, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over edges.
- 2Beat eggs, sugar, syrup and oil in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in pumpkin and nuts, then sifted dry ingredients. Spread mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make sugared pecans, then maple frosting.
- 5To make sugared pecans; rinse nuts in a sieve under cold water until wet. Spread nuts, in a single layer, on a baking-paper-lined oven tray. Dust with sifted icing sugar. Roast in oven for 10 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 6To make maple frosting; beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until fluffy and smooth. Gradually beat in syrup and sifted icing sugar until smooth and combined.
- 7Split cake in half. Place the bottom cake layer on a cake plate; spread with half the frosting. Finish with top cake layer and remaining frosting. Decorate with sugared pecans; dust with extra ground cinnamon.
You will need about half a small butternut pumpkin for the amount of grated pumpkin required. This cake can be made and frosted a day ahead;refrigerate. Stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour before serving. Sugared pecans can be made several days ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature. Decorate cake with pecans just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021