- 1 free-range size 16 chicken
- 40 gram butter, softened
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 40 gram butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 leaves sage, finely sliced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sweetcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup polenta, plus 2 tablespoons extra for rolling
- 2 eggs, beaten
- spray oil
- aioli to serve
- 1Preheat the oven to 165°C and line a roasting dish with baking paper. Pat chicken dry and tie legs with kitchen string if desired.
- 2Combine the soft butter, garlic, paprika, thyme and salt, then rub generously all over the chicken.
- 3Arrange the chicken in the roasting pan, cover loosely with foil and cook for 1¼ hours (remove the foil for the last 15 minutes), basting occasionally with the flavoured butter until the chicken is golden and the juices run clear when pierced in the thickest part.
- 4Meanwhile, make the corn and polenta stuffing balls. Heat the butter in a small frying pan and saute the onion and sage leaves for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- 5In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, sweetcorn and ½ cup polenta, then add cooked onion and eggs, mixing well.
- 6Roll into balls, then roll through the extra polenta. Add the polenta balls around the chicken, spray with oil and cook for the last 20 minutes with the chicken.
- 7Serve the chicken carved with the corn and polenta stuffing and a dollop of aioli.
Slow-cooking a whole chicken gives tender, juicy results and basting it with this flavoured butter gives it a smoky flavour and golden glow. The little polenta stuffing balls are delicious, especially served with a large dollop of aioli or homemade chicken gravy.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021