- 125 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup (185g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon golden syrup or treacle
- 20 gram glacé ginger, sliced thinly
- 125 gram mascarpone cheese
- 125 gram cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 2 tablespoon lemon curd
- 3/4 cup (120g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 10 gram butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease and line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in sifted dry ingredients, buttermilk and golden syrup, in two batches, on low speed, until mixture is smooth.
- 3Drop heaped teaspoons of mixture onto trays, about 4cm (1½ inches) apart.
- 4Bake pies about 8 minutes. Cool on trays.
- 5Meanwhile, make lemon filling, beat cheeses and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth, beat in cream. Fold in curd for marbled effect.
- 6Lemon icing. Combine sifted icing sugar and remaining ingredients in small bowl.
- 7Sandwich pies with filling. Drizzle icing over pies, top with glacé ginger.
You can use bought lemon curd or lemon butter in this recipe or make your own. To make lemon curd, whisk 2 egg yolks and ¼ cup caster (superfine) sugar in small heatproof bowl until pale and thickened. Whisk in 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, stir over small saucepan of simmering water about 12 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, gradually whisk in 60g chopped cold unsalted butter until combined between additions. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fish skewers with labne & chilli tomato saladOct 30, 2020
- Vegan mayonnaiseOct 30, 2020
- Smoky tomato & bacon frittersOct 30, 2020
- Japanese cabbage pancakesOct 30, 2020
- Vegetable & lentil pot piesOct 30, 2020
- Lemon drizzle cakeOct 30, 2020
- Luscious lemon cakeOct 30, 2020
- Blueberry muffinsOct 29, 2020
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesOct 29, 2020
- Chocolate slab cakeOct 28, 2020
- Sensational spring dinnersOct 28, 2020
- Easy vanilla cupcakesOct 28, 2020
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladOct 28, 2020