- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) unsalted butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup (180ml) lemon juice
- 1Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl until combined; transfer to small saucepan with remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring, over low heat, about 8 minutes or until mixture thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat immediately; stir for 30 seconds.
- 2Pour hot curd into hot sterilised jars; seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
- 3Variations: You can make this recipe with almost any citrus fruit; simply replace the lemon rind and juice with the same amount of rind and juice of whatever citrus fruit you like - lime, orange, blood orange, mandarin, grapefruit and tangelo would all work well. If your oranges are very sweet, you might want to reduce the sugar to ¾ cup.
It is important to cook the curd over a low heat to prevent curdling. If you're making curd for the first time, stir the ingredients, in a medium glass or china heatproof bowl, over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water in the pan. You will need about 4 lemons for this recipe. Lemon curd will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator. If you prefer a completely smooth curd, you can strain the mixture (to remove the tiny pieces of lemon rind) through a fine sieve before pouring into jars. Freeze the egg whites and use them later in friands, omelettes or in a pavlova.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chinese omelettesYesterday 1:00pm
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Traditional shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon and sugar pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020