- 6 (750g) pork and fennel or italian-style sausages
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, thinly sliced
- 400 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 400 gram can tomato puree or passata
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn
- 375 gram rigatoni, penne or other short pasta
- 4 bocconcini, torn
- 3/4 cup (60g) finely grated parmesan
- rocket salad, to serve (optional)
- 1Make a long shallow cut along the length of each sausage, using a small, sharp knife. Peel away casings and discard. Crumble sausage meat into pieces.
- 2Heat oil in a large frypan over a high heat. Add sausage pieces and cook, stirring, until browned all over and just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring, until softened. Return sausage pieces to pan. Add tomato and puree. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Season. Stir through the basil.
- 4Meanwhile, cook pasta in plenty of well-salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60ml) pasta cooking water.
- 5Add pasta to sausage mixture and toss to combine. Add a little of the cooking water if necessary to help pasta and sauce amalgamate.
- 6Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Transfer pasta mixture to a medium shallow ovenproof dish. Top with bocconcini and parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned. Serve with rocket salad, if desired.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingToday 12:13am
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 10:00pm
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- How to make an easy gingerbread houseYesterday 8:00pm
- Meatloaf recipe - classicYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a towering pavlova Christmas treeYesterday 1:00pm
- Caesar saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 1:00pm
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesNov 12, 2019
- Summer puddingNov 12, 2019
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019